воскресенье, октября 23, 2005

'Welcome to the real world', -

she said to me
Condescendingly.
'Take a seat, take your life,
Plot it out in black and white'.
Well, I never lived the dreams of the prom kings
And the drama queens.
I'd like to think: the best of me
Is still hiding up my sleeve.

They love to tell you 'stay inside the lines',
But something's better
On the other side...

I wanna run through the halls of my high school,
I wanna scream at the top of my voice.
I just found out there's no such thing
as the real world -
Just a lie you've got to rise above.

So the good boys and girls take
the so-called 'right track'.
Faded white hats,
Grabbing credits, maybe transfers.
They read all the books but they can't
Find the answers.
And all of our parents -
They're getting older.
I wonder if they've wished for anything better
While in their memories
Tiny tragedies.

<...>

John Mayer
from "No Such Thing"
2002

Комментариев нет: