среда, октября 09, 2013

Sometimes I don't know where this dirty road is taking me,

Sometimes I can't even see the reason why -
I guess I keep on gamblin', lots of booze and lots of ramblin':
It's easier than just a-waitin' 'round to die.

One time, friends, I had a ma, I even had a pa.
He beat her with a belt once 'cause she cried.
She told him to take care of me, she headed down to Tennessee:
It's easier than just a-waitin' 'round to die.

I came of age and found a girl in a Tuscaloosa bar.
She cleaned me out and hit it on the sly.
I tried to kill the pain, I bought some wine and hopped a train:
Seemed easier than just a-waitin' 'round to die.

A friend said he knew where some easy money was.
We robbed a man and brother did we fly.
The posse caught up with me, drug me back to Muskogee -
It's two long years, just a-waitin' 'round to die.

Now I'm out of prison, I got me a friend at last.
He don't steal or cheat or drink or lie.
His name's codeine, he's the nicest thing I've seen,
Together we're gonna wait around and die.

Townes Van Zandt
"Waiting Around to Die", from
"For The Sake Of The Song",
1968

Комментариев нет: